A Wonderful Life

 


Beau and I were walking along a campground road early in the morning as it was getting light out. It was late September and the air was brisk but not freezing. The sky had turned bright gold, revealing the profile of the 14,000 ft mountain range that stretched from near to far. Our pace was slow as my knees burned with pain. Beau was on his leash and couldn't be trusted without it.

The actual sunrise was imminent but seemed unimportant. I had taken several photos of sunrises and sunsets. Photography is for capturing views of places you don’t visit often. This is my home. I never tire of the magnificence of the sunrise but have accepted that I have already caught the best shot here and no need to capture another picture. A camera alone can’t capture the exact experience you are having. It’s not all visual. The vastness of the open blankets of forest before me, the quiet, the crisp, cold air. In order to get a good shot, you must anticipate the limitations of the camera.



Walking with my dog is a bond we share and as it becomes painful for us both, we refuse to surrender. We walk on beaches, woods, lakes, and mountain roads. We walk along streams and sometimes a highway. When it’s raining, I use an umbrella and raincoat. We’re going three, maybe four times a day on long days. Shorter walks when our knees are in pain. We’re growing old together. I have found that I shouldn’t walk until my knees really hurt because then I have to walk back.

As we walk, I think about things, past and present. The future is a bit harder but I always have some sort of a plan, subject to change. My thoughts are becoming simplified and limited to my immediate needs. As long as I have plenty of provisions, I am a happy camper. I love my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mr Beau Update