Close Calls


 On January 14th, 1973, I was hanging with a friend of mine, Trent Wilson. I was 14. We were at our forts in the "woods" near my house. They were building I-95 and it ended there with traffic proceeding on a small road that went by our forts.

I wasn't paying attention to Trent as he was throwing rocks at cars. Why? Dunno. Suddenly, a man jumped out of the bushes and chased us. We ran toward the RR tracks then Trent turned right and I turned left. The man chased me. He was fat and had no chance to catch me.

I decided to hide instead of trying to get home. I would have to cross over the road and everyone would chase me I figured. I didn't want to bring them to my neighborhood.

I dove under a large tree/bush that had a large dip in the ground under it. I laid there for a very long time and tried not to breathe loud. I could see police walking around and I could hear their radios as I was right next to the road. They nabbed a guy who was in the woods sniffing glue. I saw him paraded past me and I knew him.

After awhile everyone left and I ran home. I know the date because it was Superbowl Sunday and the Dolphin's undefeated season. I missed the whole game. I never told a sole about it.

Trent died in a car accident in 1988.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mr Beau Update