Full-time RV: My Journey Chapter 1


June 30th, 2019 was my last day at work in Highpoint, NC. I wasn’t very productive, and hadn't been for some time. It was time. I had tasks on my list that I had no clue where to start. It seemed like I was running around sticking my fingers in the dam. Rooms were going silent when I'd walk in. Pain preoccupied my mind. I was addicted to pain pills that no longer worked. I was fucked.

At my party, a few coworkers sat with me sucking on beers. Some had kind words, most had no idea why I was throwing in the towel.  Nobody knew what was going on, not even my doctors. After many doctors with many opinions, I may be zeroing in on what ails me. I was suffering from severe stress that caused many underlying, existing conditions to exasperate my “illness”. Anxiety cripples me. I said good byes, stayed in touch for a little while. Never went back to say hi.

My first weeks retired felt like a vacation. It was good to get that monkey off my back. My mind had flamed out. My depression was through the floor and had been for the past few years. I felt like I was dying. The “mood stabilizers” I took zapped me of any creativity and feelings I had. I was a zombie in pain and no capability of earning any money. I was fucked. I had saved $57,000. My mortgage was only $620, propane/elec $120. I had some debt from accounts I was floating with no interest, Yada Yada yada.

I had short-term and long-term disability insurance but decided that I would be turned down for being a pre existing condition. I was NOT looking for confrontation but probably could have gotten a lawyer. I really needed someone to help me. I finally just filed for SS Disability, got declined, contacted lawyers, got turned down, then found my lawyer.

While that was going on, I decided to buy a motorhome to fix up and flip. The idea of full-time RV was something I dismissed long ago because it costs too much and I didn’t see the merit. Having one to use while fixing and flipping seemed like a way to make some money and get me camping and moving.

I searched for a few months, not sure what I was looking for. For a camper trailer, I’d need something to pull it as well. I had two Toyota Yaris's, a 2007 manual and a 2014 automatic. I zeroed in on motorhomes, 20 years old, $20,000. I picked this one.


 I parked it in front of my house. A 2000 31’ Ford Class C with Triton V10. Previous owners had already removed the dining booth which I didn’t want. they had put in a 90” sofa with 2 end tables with lamps. In the corner by the door it had some small cabinet with a Keurig. I tore it all out and replaced with swivel chairs and  table with chairs.


I started looking at RV stuff online as I slept in the motorhome and lived pretty much every day. I figured out how to use RV Parks, reserve online, etc. I decided to take a trip to San Antonio to visit the kids and grandkids. I couldn’t go for more than 3 weeks because I need to be back in North Carolina to refill my pain meds. By the time I returned, I was hooked. I forgot all about flipping. This was my home now.

All this is near the end of 2019, no pandemic yet. I was not well and barely the energy to walk Beau who had run of the house and outside with a doggie door. I needed to figure out what to do. Occasionally I would walk through the house, figuring out what I wanted to keep, throw out, and give away. The house was an embarrassing mess. I had decided to jump ship but couldn’t decide if I wanted to sell or turn into Airbnb.  

I was going full-time. That was decided. While in San Antonio,  I discovered living at RV Parks, paying monthly for very reasonable. Like $550 plus electric. I could live near kids and grandkids. By September, 2020 I had started to cleanup the house and sell it. I figured I’d need to drop $5000 on fixes but could do OK. I just wanted to blink and have it all done and sold. That’s pretty much what happened. While being cleaned out, my neighbor came over and gave me an “as is” offer. Everything including the furniture and crap I no longer needed. Cash. I called a lawyer and set it up. We closed in October and I hit the road. First hanging at Reidsville Lake near my house, then heading to WV. My stress and anxiety were better.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mr Beau Update